Questions and Statements from the Public
At meetings of the Environment Committee, any member of the public who lives, works, attends an educational establishment or owns or leases land in the Borough may ask a question or make a statement on matters within the Terms of Reference of the Committee.
If you wish to ask a question or make a statement at a meeting of this Committee, please contact Democratic Services at: Democraticservices@epsom-ewell.gov.uk
Questions must be received in writing by Democratic Services by noon on the third working day before the day of the meeting. A summary of statements must be received by Democratic Services by noon on the working day before the day of the meeting
For more information on public speaking protocol at Committees, please see Annex 4.2 of the Epsom & Ewell Borough Council Operating Framework.
Terms of Reference
Terms of reference:
1. To carry out the functions falling withing the committee’s area of responsibility as set out below, working within the budget and policy framework approved by the Full Council, except where these functions remain reserved to the Full Council or have been delegated to another committee.
2. To recommend to Full Council new or changes in previously agreed policies.
3. To establish sub-committees to progress work of the committee.
4. To decide on matters falling within its responsibility or delegate decision making to Directors. However, this does not prevent the committee from choosing to exercise the function itself.
Areas of responsibility:
a. Waste management refuse collection and recycling services.
b. Climate change strategy and environmental improvement schemes.
c. Highway matters that are the responsibility of the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council, including drainage.
d. Consider and approve local transportation policy.
e. Transport contract.
f. Contaminated Land and Waterways.
g. Parks, open spaces and countryside (including events), and allotments.
h. Grounds maintenance, including the grounds maintenance contract (which covers NJMC, EWDC, Cemetery and bedding plants).
i. Public spaces, public realm and cleansing.
j. Street trading including markets.
k. Environmental protection, pollution control and biodiversity.
l. Tree contract.
m. Food hygiene.
n. Health and safety.
o. Burials, cemeteries, and closed churchyards.
p. Street naming and numbering.
q. Parking including the provision and management of parking and the fixing of charges and parking enforcement.
r. Collaboration and partnerships related to the remit of this committee.
In carrying out its responsibilities the committee will:
1. Work in partnership with other policy committees and sub-committees.
2. Develop, make decisions about and keep under review the committee’s budget ensuring any decisions about spend are made within the allocated budget envelope.
3. Ensure any decisions about additional spend to the committee’s agreed budget are in accordance with the Financial Regulations (see the Council Operating Framework, Annex 5.1).
4. Have consideration to the Risk Management Strategy, key performance indicators and any action relevant to the committee’s remit.
5. Work with partners and other agencies to fulfil its responsibilities.
6. Have oversight of any matters of interest or concern relevant to this committee’s remit.
To make recommendations regarding:
a. Changes to this committee’s terms of reference.
b. Other matters under the committee’s jurisdiction which, by virtue of statutory provision, must be determined by Full Council.
c. New policies or changes in policy within the remit of the committee which would require resources beyond those allocated to the committee.
a. New policies or changes in policy within the remit of the committee which can be accommodated within the committee’s overall allocation of resources.
b. Responses to consultations from the Government, other authorities and external agencies where there is a potentially significant impact upon the delivery of services falling under the remit of the committee.
c. Rents and charges for services, accommodation and land, not under the purview of another committee.
Support officer: Email: email@example.com. tel: 01372 732000