Questions from the Public
Members of the public who live, work, attend an educational establishment or own or lease land in the Borough may submit a written question to, or ask a question verbally at meetings of the Community and Wellbeing Committee on matters within the committee’s Terms of Reference.
Written questions must be submitted to Democratic Services. The written question must arrive by noon on the tenth working day before the day of the meeting. For example, for a meeting on a Tuesday, the request must therefore arrive by noon on the Tuesday two weeks before the meeting.
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference:
1. To carry out the functions falling withing the committee’s area of responsibility as set out below, working within the budget and policy framework approved by Council, except where these functions remain reserved to the Council or have been delegated to another Committee within the Council’s scheme of delegation.
2. To establish Sub-Committees to progress work of the Committee.
3. To decide on matters falling within its responsibility or delegate decision making to Directors. However, this does not prevent the Committee from choosing to exercise the function itself.
Areas of responsibility:
a. Tourism, culture, and recreational activities including the arts, sports and other leisure activities;
b. PREVENT and PROTECT (part of the CONTEST – Counter Terrorism strategy);
c. Council venues including The Playhouse, Bourne Hall, Ewell Court House, The Rainbow Centre, Bourne Hall Museum;
d. Services for young people;
e. Affordable housing;
f. Strategic housing and investment;
g. Housing standards, homelessness, homelessness prevention and advice, housing needs assessment;
h. Housing benefit in relation to welfare aspects;
i. Private sector housing and administration of housing grants;
k. Personal social services for older and disabled persons including community meals services, community alarm, day centres, community transport;
l. Community and Voluntary sector grants;
m. Consultations on local health service provision and NHS services;
n. Armed Forces Covenant;
o. Voluntary Sector.
In carrying out its responsibilities the Committee will:
1. Work in partnership with other Policy committees and sub committees.
2. Develop, make decisions about and keep under review the Committee’s budget ensuring any decisions about spend are made within the allocated budget envelope.
3. Ensure any decisions about additional spend to the Committee’s agreed budget are in accordance with the Financial Regulations.
4. Have consideration to the Risk Management Strategy, Key Performance indicators and any action relevant to the Committee’s remit;
5. Work with the Voluntary Sector, health partners and other agencies.
6. Have oversight of any matters of interest or concern relevant to this Committees remit.
To make recommendations regarding:
a. Changes to this Committee’s Terms of Reference.
b. Other matters under the Committee’s jurisdiction which, by virtue of statutory provision, must be determined by full Council.
c. New policies or changes in policy within the remit of the Committee which would require resources beyond those allocated to the Committee.
a. New policies or changes in policy within the remit of the Committee which can be accommodated within the Committee’s overall allocation of resources.
Delegation to Officers:
1. To the Chief Executive and Directors, the power to implement Council/Committee policies and deal with the day-to-day management of services relevant to this Committee, including the discharge of all functions of the Council, except for those which are identified above as reserved for determination by the Council, Committee or Sub-Committee.
2. The officers referred to in 1. above have the power in turn to delegate to other officers of their choice, the power to deal on their behalf and in their name with any of the above functions. Such delegation shall be in writing and signed by the relevant SMT Member and may contain such limitations or be subject to such conditions as that Officer shall decide.
3. Where committee delegated action has been taken by officers in 1. and 2. above, or the use of urgency powers has been exercised by the Chief Executive or Director this must be reported back to the Chair and Vice Chair at the next available meeting.
Support officer: Democratic Services, 01372 732122. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org